To assure the public that the Community Foundation DeKalb County maintains impartiality when awarding educational scholarships, the following individuals and their relatives* are not considered eligible for scholarships provided by the foundation:
- Foundation employees and scholarship committee members
This restriction applies to employees and scholarship committee members for the year scholarships are awarded and for two years after s/he is no longer connected with the foundation in a volunteer or paid position.
This restriction also applies to the relatives* of donors or organizations, including a corporation, partnership or trust, that make a substantial contribution to a scholarship fund to which the relative is connected.
Foundation directors’ families are eligible for scholarships provided by the foundation. Multiple steps have been set forth to prevent any conflict of interest:
- Fully disclosure: At the beginning of each calendar year, Board members will identify on the Foundation’s Conflict of Interest Policy form any conflict of interest, including any family member(s) who might be eligible for a scholarship in the upcoming graduation year.
- Participation in the Scholarship Committee: Board members who indicate a conflict of interest in regards to potential scholarship recipients, will not be able to serve on the Foundation’s scholarship committee for the year that the conflict occurs. Board members shall be able to serve on the scholarship committee the year prior to and/or the year after the conflict occurs.
- Abstention from discussion and voting: Board members who have a conflict of interest in regards to potential scholarship recipients will excuse themselves from the Board meeting room during discussions regarding scholarship awards and when voting to accept scholarship recipients occurs.
- Blind scholarship application review: Scholarship applications will have identifying student and parent information omitted prior to being sent to reviewers for the review process. Board members with the conflict of interest will not participate in the reviewing process the year the conflict occurs. Board members will be allowed to participate in the reviewing process the year prior to and/or the year after the conflict occurs.
*Relatives are defined as: Spouse, lineal descendants (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren whether by whole or half blood, step-children, step-grandchildren, step-great grandchildren) and their spouses, brothers and sisters (whether by whole or half-blood) and their spouses, as well as ancestors. Other relatives (i.e. nephew, niece, etc.) are eligible to receive scholarships provided by the foundation.